We believe in children of all abilities playing together
Our inclusive playgrounds promote physical, cognitive, learning, visual and hearing experiences that enrich play experiences for all children. We believe everyone deserves the highest level of fun. Consulting with both child development and inclusive playground experts, we incorporated focus on the complexities and developmental benefits of play to include the specific features children need at each stage of growth.
What Are the Benefits of an Accessible Playground?
Accessible playground equipment offers benefits for all children. Every child. For children who have mobility or other challenges, a handicap-accessible playground allows them to play too. Something as simple as accessible surfacing can make playground equipment navigable for wheelchairs and the people who use them.
For children with challenges, accessible play areas and wheelchair-accessible playground equipment let them play and be children, just like everyone else. Play is crucial for human development, the growth of social skills and self-confidence.
For other children who don’t have these challenges, playground equipment for disabled children can also offer big benefits. Connecting with children of different backgrounds and abilities encourages empathy, as well as social and emotional skills that will benefit children throughout their entire lives. Children who can cooperate and play with children of all ability levels and all backgrounds will be more prepared for a diverse world and workplace as adults.
And it’s not just children who benefit. We tend to think that it’s the child we need to accommodate. Yet there are far more parents and grandparents with disabilities than children. Cross-generational play is imperative to building strong families. Adults who have mobility issues can benefit from wheelchair-accessible playgrounds because these playgrounds allow them to go to the park with their child and spend time together.
Inclusive Play is at the Heart of Our Designs
Our play components give the opportunity to play.
- The Rock’n Ship Glider, a wheelchair accessible glider that features a gentle swaying motion and 70 square feet of deck surface for wheelchairs.
- Our Therapeutic Rings provide upper body exercise and stretching, improves both strength and mobility, helping children do more for themselves on and off the playground.
- The Talk Tube allows for downtime when children need to get away from the noise of the playground while still engaging in one-on-one play, from a distance.
- Ramps with Double Rails allow for continuous gripping support, wheelchair turning areas, and transfer stations.
- Our Activity Panels allow children to express themselves through music, mental exercises and exploration. Whether learning about rhythm, sound, and pitch or moving steering wheels or colorful balls across the panel to promote hand coordination in a playful way, we have accessible height activities that encourage range of motion exercise and imaginative play.
Little Tikes Commercial and Unlimited Play have teamed up as partners in inclusive play to create universally accessible playgrounds. Let’s work together to build a space that every child can enjoy, regardless of abilities.
Designing a Playground for All Children
Designing an inclusive playground goes well beyond the ADA’s playground equipment requirements or even designing and building playgrounds with wheelchair accessibility. Inclusive play means:
- Creating wide paths between playground equipment so all children can walk or roll between playground equipment
- Creating surfacing which is easy to use with crutches, wheelchairs and other mobility devices, creating wheelchair accessible playgrounds
- Creating cozy or quiet spaces for children who may become overwhelmed and may need a quiet space
- Ensuring that special needs outdoor play equipment isn’t in a separate area, but included with other equipment, allowing children to play together
- Buying playground equipment that can be used in a number of ways, by everyone.
One of the best resources, if you’d like to build inclusive playground design into your playground, is to work with an accessible playground equipment manufacturer who really understands inclusive play equipment. Contact Little Tikes Commercial if you’d like to work with an experienced manufacturer who understands inclusive design.
Our inclusive designs
give kids of all abilities the opportunity to play.
Access to play is carefully
considered in all designs, so everyone can play.
Kids of all abilities benefit
from playing with others. Our designs facilitate play for all children.
Fun for All
No matter what your
playground needs, we have inclusive designs and products to make sure everyone plays.
Working With Little Tikes Commercial
Little Tikes Commercial has been in the industry for more than 30 years and understands how to design an inclusive playground. We’ve helped churches, schools and other organizations design and buy inclusive playground equipment, and our playground features can be found in inclusive playgrounds across the country.
Little Tikes Commercial offers financing and leasing choices as well as design services and additional support services to help you. Whether you’re worried about creating an inclusive playground design or are concerned about staying on-budget, Little Tikes Commercial has services and team members to help you every step of the way.
Whether you need a special needs playground for residential school or an inclusive playground or your community, contact Little Tikes Commercial to consult with a representative and to access our many resources on inclusivity.